Wednesday, October 31, 2012

DIY: Fortune Cookies! (First Tutorial)

Happy Halloween everybody! I know it's taken me a long time to post this, but here's my first tutorial!! I know improvements can be made but I hope you all can cut me some slack :P .  ALSO some of you may not know but today also marks the one year anniversary of my blog! Unfortunately as of now, I haven't done anything too special for it but it's only 12:43 AM right now (for me) soo who knows the day has barely just started! ;D I'll update you all if I do end up making something! 

Update!
As of now it is now 1:28 PM for me and not doing anything special today would just be wrong so I made halloween themed cupcakes! Nothin' too fancy~ Again, happy halloween everyone! Remember to be safe!!


Fortune Cookie Recipe
Ingredients:
3 oz flour
3 oz sugar
pinch of salt
3 oz egg whites
2 oz melted unsalted butter
(not pictured but I also added 1/4 tsp vanilla extract and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract)

Step 1: Get all of your ingredients ready!
Step 2: Whisk and/or sift all of your dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt) to make sure that they are combined well.
Step 3: Pour in the egg whites to your dry mixture until combined.
Step 4: After you have combined your dry ingredients with the egg whites, add the melted butter.
Step 5: Prepare your baking sheet by placing on a piece of parchment (you can also use a silipat if you have one).
Step 6: Spoon out however much of the batter you want (I used amount a teaspoon for each cookie). *note: you may only want to try to make one cookie at a time until you get the hang of it.
Step 7: Place the batter on the parchment paper and create circles. *You'll want to make the circles thin and even as possible.
Step 8: If you are wanting to add your own "fortunes" make sure to have those ready! The next steps go by VERY quickly!
Unfortunately I was not able to get pictures of the next steps but don't fret! I can still tell you how to complete a fortune cookie! :)
Step 9: Put your baking sheet in the oven until it is golden brown. Times will vary depending on how thick or large you made your circle to be. My cookies ranged from 6-10 minutes. *Warning: The browner the cookies get, the crispier they will be, therefore making the folding quite difficult.
*Note: Steps 10-12 will need to be done in a span of about 8 seconds...so beware!
Step 10: When your cookies are golden brown, take them out as quick as you can! Using a spatula, wipe off your cookie from the parchment paper. If you are inserting a "fortune," this is the time where you would want to place your message in the middle of the cookie.
Step 11: Once you have placed your message in the middle of the cookie (if you chose to do so), you will fold your cookie in half like a taco.
Step 12: After folding your cookie as a taco, you will need to pinch the two ends of the taco and bend the middle of the cookie to a cup (as shown in the picture above). This is how you will get the "fortune cookie" shape! :)

And that's it! Keep repeating this process until you get the amount of fortune cookies you would like! :)






Also, in case any of you guys wanted an update on whether or not the first "Karess Kreations" delivery made it okay...


No comments:

Post a Comment